2008年9月7日 星期日

Creativity in My Entrepreneurship

Frankly speaking, I think that my thoughts have been restricted by the traditional ways of education and ethical boundaries in Taiwan for years. Even after I entered the workplace, I found it difficult to develop one's own creativity in such culture and environment. However, in recent years, there are more and more companies in my home country, like Google and Microsoft, which are full of vitality and creativity and successfully enhanced the creative ability withing their employees as well. They really catch my attention and that is what I would like to achieve if I start up my own company.

To reach the creativity increment for my ideal company, my strategies can be divided into two aspects: software and hardware. Software means the resources; in other words, the people I would hire to work for me. Hardware means the working environment.

According to Robert I. Sutton, it is interesting to have a reverse thinking when hiring an employee; namely, an entrepreneur should recruit those who most managers or co-workers do not like to get along with or work with. I can not agree with his point that a slow learner is good for a company's creativity. I would rather hire someone who is smart and learn everything quickly. Since they are so brilliant that they will always figure out new solutions and invent new ideas for business. This is positive to the whole company because other co-workers will be stimulated and inspired by them at the same time. However, such kind of creative people have a definite character that they don't abide by the rules that they think unreasonable. I will have to stand it and listen to them because they are so creative and their reasons are certainly of great value to me. These employees may be hard to handle, but what they need is a right place for them so that their creativity and talents won't be limited and restrained. Their ideas may sound wild to others, but they may plant seeds of innovation for my company. If those seeds are killed by others before they bud, it will be a huge loss for the company.

People issue is always one of the major problem in a firm. In Cliffe's article, I think I will not be able to stand an employee with bad behavior toward his co-workers. No matter how outstanding his performance is, he will definitely ruin the harmony in the office and is a poison to others. I will look into each employee's advantages and arrange the position and work which is best for them to develop their expertise. Besides, the chance of job rotation will let them learn more skills and may discover their specialty in another new field. As for those who are creative and smart but egoistic and difficult to get along with, it is important to set up a core value as Mary Rowe suggested for the entrepreneurship. It is also essential to develop my own entrepreneurial culture so as to create a common view for every employee toward their work and they can cooperate with each other well.

Aside from the above points for people management, it is also important to define and clarify roles and responsibilities well as McKenzie mentioned. From my past working experience, it's been a serious problem within my previous company because most people are not aware of what their real job scopes are and what they should do. When confronting a lazy but senior colleague who push his job to you, whether you should take it or not might influence your own performance and interpersonal relationships a great deal. I believe that not everyone has the experience and skills to deal with the situation well. Therefore, the clarification of roles and responsibilities should be set up at the beginning for each position and division. For those excellent but not good at getting along with others, I will separate them from others. Thus, they won't influence others' performance and can fully utilize their capability without being interfered. In the end, everyone works toward his target and increases the creativity and effectiveness for my company.

As for the working environment, I agree with Thompson that a playground should be built. In Taiwan, most workplaces are designed only for work. Employees are under pressure and may not have their own creativity in such circumstances. I have read a report about the innovative office design which is really a dream office for me and my ex-colleagues to work in . Moreover, these companies may have some entertainment or enjoy the tea time in an office cafe during working hours. I believe the appropriate relax and fun can stir employees working spirits and promote the morale in my company. Colorful decoration, relax, and fun will be the major elements in my company working environment. When it's fun to work, creativity and effectiveness will automatically generated.

Reference:
Thompson, L. (2003). Improving the creativity of organizational work groups. Academy of Management Executive, Vol. 17, No. 1
Cliff, S. (2001). What a Star – What a Jerk. Harvard Business Review
Sutton, R. (2001). The Weird Rules of Creativity. Harvard Business Review

沒有留言: